SD or MicroSD card is a compact device that you can use interchangeably in many devices like mobile phones, computers, digital cameras etc. You can use SD cards to save videos, pictures, music audio, and any other files by extending your device storage.
Sometimes, you may encounter a situation when your SD card gets corrupted, leading to the inaccessibility of your stored files.
SD card corruption is an abnormal situation in which you may fail to access your SD card or the files saved on it. In some cases, your memory card gets undetected or not formatted due to such corruption issues.
Furthermore, SD card corruption can also lead to situations like missing files. Whatever is the reason for the corrupted SD card on your device, it is important to apply some relevant workarounds to fix the issue.
Here, in this article, we have provided how to repair damaged videos from an SD card on Windows devices.
What Happens When SD Card Gets Corrupted or Damaged?
Usually, when your SD card gets corrupted, you may encounter at least any one of the following symptoms:
- SD cards may not be recognized or become unreadable on Windows or Mac devices.
- Micro/ SD cards cannot show video or other files stored on them.
- The memory card indicates a lack of storage space error message.
- The memory card became blank all of a sudden or stops working properly.
- Photos/videos cannot be deleted from an SD card, etc.
Note: It is important to note here that you should stop using your SD card soon after you get any memory card error. Also, it is important to take a backup of all your important data from it. This will help you in case of sudden damage to your SD card and its data.
Common Reasons Why Videos Get Damaged in SD Cards
There are several reasons due to which the video files stored on your SD card get corrupt or damaged. Most often, such a situation is a result of human errors or mistakes. Before you learn methods to repair video files, it is important to know the exact reason for such problems. These include:
- Saving video files even if the battery of your Windows device is low or about to die.
- Disconnecting the SD card while the process of transferring video files is still going on a Windows device.
- Connecting the SD card to virus or malware-infected Windows devices can damage the stored data items.
- When you don’t format the SD card before using it on a new device or camera, it causes corruption issues.
- Physical damage or manufacturing defects of your SD card can damage or corrupt the videos and other stored files.
How do I Repair Damaged Videos from an SD Card?
If your video files get corrupted or damaged on Windows devices, don’t panic as there are several methods and repair video software programs, available online. You can use theses video repair software and manual methods to fix the damaged video files on your SD card. Let’s check each of these in detail.
Method 01: Repair Damaged Videos Via the “chkdsk” Command
You can use Window’s in-built command prompt tool to recover the damaged videos from an SD card. All you have to do is:
- Firstly, insert the SD card in which you have damaged video files into the card reader. Connect it to your Windows device.
- Type cmd in the search box located in the bottom-left corner, right-click Command Prompt and choose the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Now, type the following command: chkdsk F: /f /r /x and press Enter button.
- Type exit once the checking and repairing process is completed.
Once you are done with the above steps, check if the “Windows has made corrections to the file system” message appears. If it appears on the screen, congratulations. The damaged video files in the SD card are successfully fixed, and you can now play them again.
Method 02: Repair Damaged Videos from SD Card Using Error Checking
If the video files are not playing on your Windows computer due to any device error, then this method is definitely the best suitable. Go through the following steps to repair video files using the Windows Error Checking tool:
- Firstly, attach the SD card to your PC using a card reader.
- Now, press Windows + E keys simultaneously to open Windows Explorer.
- Right-click the SD card and select Properties from the menu that appears.
- Navigate to the Tools tab, and tap the Check button.
Wait till the scanning process is ongoing and once completed, close the scan window. After this, you may be able to play the videos from your SD card again. If nothing appears, try any other SD card data recovery methods to fix damaged videos on your SD card.
Method 03: Use Windows Troubleshooter to Repair Damaged Videos
If there are any hardware and driver-related issues on the SD memory card, then you can use Windows in-built Troubleshooter tool. In such cases, you have to apply the following steps:
- Firstly, you need to connect your SD card to the Windows device.
- Navigate to Windows Settings > Update & Security, and select the “Troubleshoot” option.
- Now, click the “Run the troubleshooter” button under the Hardware and Devices section.
Wait till the troubleshooting process gets successfully completed, and then restart your Windows device.
Method 04: Use Video Repair Software to Fix Damaged Videos
If the above-mentioned methods to repair corrupted videos from an SD card failed, you need to use video repair software. Among all the repair video software available online, we recommend you to use Stellar Repair for Video. This video repair software can help you to repair damaged or corrupted videos on SD cards and other storage devices. The excellent features and functions of the software make it very easy for users to repair damaged video files.
You can use Stellar Repair for Video software to repair damaged video files of multiple formats, including MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, and more. The software even repairs videos captured from DSLR, drones, CCTV, smartphones etc. on Windows 11, 10, 8 & 7.
Step-By-Step Guide to Repair Damaged Videos on SD Card Using Stellar Repair for Video
- Download and install the software on your Windows device.
- Launch the software and click the “Add File” button to add the video(s) that you have to repair.
- After that, click the “Repair” button to start the repair process.
- Once the scanning process is completed, preview the repaired video and click the “Save Repaired Files” button to save them at the desired location.
That’s it! This is only a three-step process to repair damaged videos using Stellar repair video software.
In this blog, we have provided some common reasons why video files get damaged on SD cards. Along with this, we have also mentioned quick methods to answer how to repair damaged videos from an SD card on Windows devices.
If your video files get damaged on your SD card, don’t panic, as there are several methods by which you can repair and access them again.
If the manual methods to repair video files get failed, you can use video repair software that is specially designed to fix corrupted or damaged video files. For a fast and secure video repair process, you can use Stellar repair for video software. It is the best video repair tool that you can use to restore your damaged video files from any storage device.